CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Favorite Books of 2009 . . .

It's no secret that I am an avid reader. I would rather read a book then watch TV or clean house. Which usually means that my house isn't as clean as it should be because I usually spend naptime with my nose in a book. I read several books this last year but there were a few that truly captured my brain or heart.

1. The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett
I never in my life thought I would read or rather enjoy reading a book about the building of a cathedral in 12th century England. I was actually scared to read the first book because it was 976 pages long. I started reading it and got captivated by the story. It was amazing. The second book was equally is good and I can't wait to read them again one day.

2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
This story takes place in Mississippi in 1962. It is told by three women, one white and 2 black. The story really caught my attention when it describes how white women treated their black maids, aka The Help. These three women come together to work on a project that puts all of them at risk. It was wonderfully written.

3. The Book Theif by Markus Zusak
This book is set during the WWII in Nazi Germany. This story is narrated by Death and the main character, Leisel aka the book theif, is orphaned by her mother and is raised by two foster parents. Her new Papa teaches her to read and she goes onto steal a few books. Her family later hides a Jew in their basement and during air rade she reads to others in a neighbors basement. There is so much more to this story and I highly suggest you pick it up and read it. Don't be put off because it is actually considered a Young Adult Fiction. Read it, you won't be disappointed.

4. The 19th Wife by David Ebersoff
This story portrays two different accounts of polygamy in the Morman church. The first story takes place in 1875 and the second one takes place in modern day. This book contained alot of information that I didn't know about the start of the Morman church. I really like to read books that tell stories about lives that are completely different from my own.

5. The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer
I said I wouldn't read these books but I got sucked in like everyone else. Are they the best books I have ever read, well no. The writing isn't the best but the story is amazing. I feel lke such a teenager getting sucked into it but after it is all said and done I am glad I read these books. Will I read them again....of course. I think that makes me a true Twilight fan!

1 comments:

SPG said...

Thanks for the list! I need to look up the books from the library.