CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Goodbyes . . .

Most people go through life living in the same town they grew up in with their family, friends and support system close by. Never realizing what they have right near them and often taking it all for granted. Goodbye isn't in their vocabulary and if it is it's only for short business trips or vacations. Goodbye doesn't mean months or years. Goodbye is only something you say as you head out the door to go home after enjoying a nice meal with your loved ones.


Deployments, separations and goodbyes are a part of every military wife's life. It often feels like she is always saying goodbye to someone; her husband, family and friends. She can prepare and expect these things but when the reality hits, it's never easy. How can it be?

I've said goodbye to too many people in my life and it never gets easier. Sometimes the goodbyes are said without any real idea of when you will see a person again. Sometimes it's to loved ones that you would give anything to live near. Other times it's to friends that mean so much to you it hurts. It seems like the only constant in my life is goodbye.

It won't be long and I will have to say my goodbye to my husband who will go on a deployment. We have done this before. In fact shortly after getting married we were apart for 6 months and again when we lived in Germany.

This isn't new stuff; but this time it's different. Now I have two innocent little children that have to say goodbye to their daddy. How do you prepare a child for that? How do you explain to these innocent little ones that their daddy won't be home and will miss so many holidays and both birthdays? It's not just my goodbye now, it's theirs too.

I know we will get through all of this. I will pull strength from all the women that have done it before me. I will think of my grandma that had 4 boys and an Air Force pilot that was never home. She was left with a heavy burden and she carried on.

But right now, today...I'm sad. I'm sad for my kids and my husband who will miss so much. I'm sad that most people go through their days and never once think of the military men and women who sacrifice so much of themselves for the good of their country. Today, I'm just sad.

But tomorrow; I'll be strong again. Strong for my husband and my kids. That is my role and even when I feel like my heart is breaking on the inside I will put on my brave face and endure. Just like every other military wife around. I am not different and I am not special. I am just one of the many military wives that do this every single day.


0 comments: